Information Description Reviews Awards Fun Stuff Merchandise Teacher Resources Cover Illustrations Norwegian, Spanish Cover Illustrations
- First editions:
- Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1983, USA.
- Jonathan Cape, 1983, Great Britain.
- Illustrated by Quentin Blake
- Value (circa 1989) in Fine
- Challenged in Spencer,
Wisconsin because "it desensitizes children to crime related to
- Collected in:
- Audio Books:
The Grand High Witch has a fiendish plan for getting rid of all the children in England. First, her fellow hags will take over all the sweet shops. Next, they will sell poisoned sweets and chocolate which turn children into mice! Then, make way for the mouse traps...
This terrible plan is overheard by the young boy narrator of the story. Fortunately, his grandma knows something about witches. Unfortunately, before he has a chance to consult her, he is turned into a mouse himself.
Will the witches triumph? Are the children of England doomed? And what exactly is the secret behind grandma's missing finger? This award-winning tale has all the answers. [from roalddahl.com]
- New York Times Outstanding Books Award (USA 1983)
- Whitbread Award (UK 1983)
- Federation of Children's Book Groups Award (UK 1983)
- The Witches
- Reading Quiz
- Online reading quiz with questions from the book
- Classroom Activities
- Includes a few activities she came up with for her class
- Writing Across the Curriculum
- Using information from the book, students embark on an effort to save children like themselves from the witches and the effects of Formula 86 Delayed Action Mouse-Maker. Using population statistics as well as information from the text, students write a pe
Click on any thumbnail to see the fullsize version...
Norwegian Cover Illustration "Heksene"
Spanish Cover Illustration "Las brujas"
Click on thumbnail to see the fullsize version...
Santillana Pub Co, 1998
[Buy this Book]
Created and maintained by Kristine Howard with assistance from Michael Mander